Friday 30 August 2013

Down Hidden Tracks 13th September - 26th September

Hello there!

This blog is devoted to my forthcoming exhibition at Fountains Abbey, which, to my amazement opens two weeks from today. Over a year ago myself and ceramicist Charlotte Morrison decided to contact the National Trust about organising a joint exhibition of our work in the beautiful Fountains Hall, on the grounds of the abbey. As two young artists only a couple of years into our careers, we both felt that a self-organised exhibition which would allow us to show our largest ever collections of work would be an excellent idea, and to use such a well known and much loved venue not only made sense but gave us plenty of inspiration for a theme. Both influenced by the landscape of Yorkshire and the dales, it didn't take us long to come up with ideas for new work. Charlotte has been exploring historical and hidden tracks and trails around the local area, and using classic map design as creative inspiration has made some beautiful new ceramic collections. I used the opportunity as an excuse to develop my work on follies, focusing on the wonderful places I had visited while growing up, like Hackfall and Studley Royal.


The Banqueting House, Studley Royal

A year later and I can't believe it's finally nearly time to install ourselves in the pretty Arkell Room of Fountains Hall. Over the year I have had the pleasure of visiting some lovely places and can't believe how my fascination with follies has grown (and how little I knew about them to begin with). I can't wait to get all the work on the walls, and to meet the (hopefully) many visitors during the two weeks of the exhibition. To try and tempt you along here are a few things you'll get to see there.

Map Cups, Charlotte Morrison

Through the woods to Fisher's Hall

Fountains to Brimham bowls, Charlotte Morrison

The Ionic Temple, Duncombe Park 


For more information on Charlotte Morrison's work visit her website. To see some more of my pictures, and to read more about me and my work, visit my site here.

Hopefully I will see you in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment