Tuesday 12 July 2011

The advantages of opening post...

Hi!

Earlier this week I assisted in the opening of a large pile of post, belonging to my boyfriend Dave. Of course this is exciting in itself, but a major plus for me is that I ended up with a large pile of glorious security envelopes, the inside of which I have recently started using in my collages. However, while organising my new pile of materials, I thought I'd try something different with them. I have mentioned before that I sometimes make jewellery out of recycled things, and over the last few months have really got into making beads from paper, particularly maps. I thought I'd try and make the same beads with the envelopes, and I'm really pleased with the results!






I really love finding everyday things and using them for something completely different. Envelopes are often printed with a variety of interesting patterns, and are a perfect example of a readily available, inexpensive material.

This friday I'm heading over to Norway to spend the weekend in a cabin by the sea. I've never been before but the area looks beautiful and will hopefully be very inspiring. Tomorrow I'll be in The Gallery, helping Josie hang our next exhibition, Impression, which features 5 fantastic printmakers from around the north.



Find out about my travels to norway next week!

Rosie

1 comment:

  1. Hello! Now I know you're an envelope-lover too you should take a look at the post-themed blog project I'm running right now: http://notesonpaper.blogspot.com/2011/07/im-going-postal-how-about-you.html If you feel inspired to blog something else to join in you'd be very welcome.

    Lovely to meet you today. Thanks for a great workshop.

    Julie :-)

    ReplyDelete